Friday, September 14, 2012

Running Away

There are times when you just have to run away for a bit.

Correction:
There are times when you I just have to run away for a bit.

Usually those times involve a boy. When my heart has been broken, once again, and I need to go back and pick up the pieces.

It's not his fault. Well, maybe a little. But maybe I shouldn't have gotten too excited or read too much into things. 

He had to move back to the office down south and I have yet to hear from him. It's been two weeks. In fact, he never told me when he was going to move, only that he was moving. 

And so we accept that perhaps, this latest experiment/kismet/whatever was only a cruel trick of someone's.

I found the perfect quote to describe the situation:

"I've never forgotten him. Dare I say I miss him? I do. I miss him. I still see him in my dreams. They are nightmares mostly, but nightmares tinged with love. Such is the strangeness of the human heart. I still cannot understand how he could abandon me so unceremoniously without any sort of goodbye, without looking back even once."
Yann Martel, Life of Pi

Maybe it's a bit dramatic. I mean, we only knew each other for a total of two months. But seeing someone every day for eight hours during two months? That's a lot of time. There were a lot of conversations. And now... 

There are moments when I want to call him and see if he'd go out with me again. But then I realize that it's probably for the best. He had his chance. And now he lives 45 minutes away. There's nothing that tells me he'd be willing to make the effort. And so I'm trying a different approach than what I've done: I'm going to just let go.

And run away with a few friends to mourn the broken, empty part of me. 

Jane Austen once said, "What are men compared to rocks and mountains?" Of course, I'm taking it out of context, but it's my sentiment. I'm running away to the mountains and the lake. To be away from TV for a night and a day. And breathe. 

Maybe then I won't miss him anymore.

And maybe... just maybe... I can find another good story. One that ends a little happier than this one.

A girl can hope, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment