Sunday, July 1, 2012

Saturday Stories: A Day Late And A...

This post is a day and a half later than planned.

That's what happens when you go on a vacation and Saturday is the day that everyone plans to arrive. 

You spend the day preparing for the arrivals by going grocery shopping and then when they arrive you go swimming for the first time and just relax (and maybe fall asleep while laying out in the sun just because you can).

But still. 

So, this week's story happened on Friday. 

I had gone to see one of my managers to discuss some items. As I went out to take the elevator back up to my floor, a young man was standing there also waiting for the elevator. He asked me if I worked in the department. I responded in the affirmative. 

He told me his name. I gave him mine. He was very polite and nerdy looking in his suit with his laptop bag. Maybe I thought the nerdy was kind of cute.

He asked how long I had been with the department. I told him a year and a half. He asked what I did. I told him. He knew right away. He worked in the department but at the office down south. He explained that he didn't know anyone who worked in the main building. I had a gut feeling that the ride up to my floor might be fortuitous. 

Not so.

We happened to get on the elevator with some co-workers from the department I had worked in before my current assignment. They know me as being sarcastic and of quick wit. Unfortunately, that meant that the ride up 4 floors was spent teasing me. Poor guy never got the chance.

Maybe he'll look me up in the work directory. There are only four or five women with my first name. And our pictures are up with them. 

If not, it's just nice that someone noticed me for a second. And it only adds fuel to co-worker Dave's conclusion that I'm a nerd at heart (don't tell him he's right though. He doesn't need to hear that anymore than he already does).

1 comment:

  1. Or you could look him up... just saying... I'm all for traditionalism and such. But, sometimes cute nerds are shy and need a little help to get the ball rolling. Nothing wrong with a quick e-mail or linkedin invite asking how his trip went or if he'd like to get a sandwich and compare work stories/strategies next time he's in town... That's just networking, really! ;)

    ReplyDelete