Saturday, April 21, 2012

Saturday Stories: Grandma's Love

Normally, I tell one of my stories.

But today, in honor of my grandma, I want to tell her love story.

She met a handsome young man when she was seventeen and had moved from her small town in Illinois to San Francisco. He worked with her brother. But he was rather conceited. He knew that he could any girl he wanted. And he wanted Jennie. 

But being the youngest, Jennie knew how to push back. He wasn't sure how much he liked that. He liked it enough to keep trying to win her over. 

Their relationship was perfect, except for their few spats. Her siblings liked him alright, but Chad was Mormon from Salt Lake City. And that could only lead to bad things. Jennie decided that she liked him. Who cares if he's a Mormon? He's a good man who works hard and is quite handsome. In those days, that was all that mattered (if only we could go back to those days).

And so it was that on Thanksgiving, Jennie and Chad found themselves obligated to attend three different dinners. 

In between one and two, they got into a fight.

Between two and three, they got engaged.

Chad yelled at Jennie, "If I bought you a ring, would you wear it?" While they drove to house number three.

Jennie yelled back, "If you bought me a damn ring, I'd wear it."

And so it was that their love story began. And lasted for years. 
I love that story.

No comments:

Post a Comment