Saturday, April 7, 2012

Saturday Stories: Love in the Library

My sister-in-law once responded to one of my stories with "This doesn't happen to normal people."

She's so kind.

Saturdays are my day to kick back and tell the funny stories that happen in my life. The stuff that make my sister-in-law gawk and stutter and not know how to respond because these things don't happen to normal people. But they happen to me.

I used to volunteer on Saturdays at one of the local libraries. I would organize books and straighten the books on all of the shelves in the fiction area. I know--it sounds thrilling. But I wanted to be a librarian, so this was my chance. 

While I was doing my work, a young guy walked up to me and asks about getting onto the computers. Having only been there a few months, I wasn't very knowledgeable about procedures but I found him the librarian on duty and politely sent him on his way.

However, he turned and asked my name. He told me his name was Marco. Yes, he was an exotic foreigner to my little city. With a nice diamond earring in one ear.

I chuckled to myself after he left. What had just happened?

Marco came back though and tried to chat with me. Tell me how he was new to town and didn't really have any friends. I continued to straighten the books (I get very shy around most gentlemen. It unnerves me to flirt and be flirted with). I answered some of his questions but couldn't really look him in the eye.

I wondered what I should do if he asked for my number. I had never been asked for my number before. I didn't know anyone's phone number off the top of my head except for my mother's. That would do me no good!

Luckily, that fear was never realized. He finally got the picture that I wasn't flirting back (apparently I can be stand-offish and intimidating, or so I've been told). Marco just said, "Well, I'll be on the first floor.... At a computer down there." He may have winked too.

Ten minutes later, I left for the day. 
I didn't stop by to see Marco. 
Maybe I should've. 
But I definitely wouldn't have any more stories if I did....

No comments:

Post a Comment