Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

I'm a church-going girl.

I think we need to get that straight, first of all.

This blog isn't for me to preach my beliefs. 
But it's just something you should know about me.

Yesterday, as I was sitting in church the man conducting the meeting went on and on about Memorial Day and remembering those who fought for our freedom. 

Being the know-it-all that I tend to be, I guffawed and thought, "I thought Memorial Day is to celebrate anyone who has passed? Why else would the cemeteries be covered in flowers."

But being the person that I am, I immediately pulled out my iPad and did a Google search. (Yep, I'm THAT person . . . the one who has to know the truth instantly. It's one of the reasons that I thought becoming a librarian might be a good idea. . .  but that's a discussion for another post.)

Unfortunately, I was wrong.
(I know... that NEVER happens—
please read that as sarcastically as you can)

Memorial Day is to celebrate those who died while fighting for freedom. 

Both of my grandfathers served during World War II (I'm a history major so I have to use roman numerals.). One grandfather was able to be discharged from the army because Grandma was diagnosed with Leukemia. The other grandpa served faithfully. Dad was even born in the Presidio of San Francisco

I honor these men from my family. In fact, I honor all of the men and women who have fight and who have continued to fight for the freedom that my family and myself enjoy. I only pray that the freedom will still be in tact when I have children. 

Yes, maybe I'm enjoying the day off from work. The sleeping in. The going to the movies with my niece. The hanging out with friends. But deep down, I'm going to spend some time reflecting on the sacrifices of those who have gone before. And I'll offer up a few prayers of thanks for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment