Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tech Tuesday: Start of the Relationship

I know I talk about my dating life a lot.

It happens to be the most exciting thing in my life. What else fills my life with such drama, such giddiness, such delight for my misfortunes?

But I wanted to start something new today. I want to try and post on Tuesdays about techie stuff. 

Yep. I'm going to be a nerd for the day. One of my friends tells me I should just own up to being a nerd. I mean I have a couple of the nerds from the dungeons of IT making Doctor Who references which I laugh about and understand. But I still won't own up to being a nerd. Not yet.

The big question on business' minds is why social media? Why get involved? What does it have to offer? What do we do with it?

I recently read a book, The Thank You Economy. Fantastic read for anyone even slightly interested in how to make a difference with your social media presence. The thesis is that building the relationships is worth so much more in the grand scheme of your business than worrying about pushing content. 

I'm all about relationships. I just never realized it before now. I like building relationships with people. Social media allows us to build a relationship.  

So, how do you start?

Well, first you have to have an account. And then you have to show up.

Pretty simple. Works the same way in dating or finding friends. You found out where the party is happening and then you go. 

A couple of years ago, I decided to start attend a different place for my church services. I went and sat alone for the first couple of weeks. And then, one time, a girl sat next to me. We started talking. We became friends. I wish I could say we were best friends but about a year later she got married and I only really keep in touch with her via Facebook. But just having one person who knew me gave me some confidence to talk to other people and make more friends.

So, maybe you only have one follower on Twitter. Who cares? Keep tweeting. Find people who like the stuff that you do. And then follow them and tweet them a very specific message. Chances are, if they're smart, they'll tweet back. I've been amazed as I have more of a presence on twitter how many people are starting to follow me. Some of them I follow back. Others... well, you don't have to be friends with everyone.

But the start of any relationship has to begin with you showing up and finding your niche.

No comments:

Post a Comment