Saturday, May 12, 2012

Saturday Stories: Dating a Co-worker

My co-worker once told me that my life was like a Jane Austen novel... 

For the record—it's definitely not Pride and Prejudice.

But today is another story from my life.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single girl, making her way in the world with a semi-decent job and progress towards a masters degree, is in want of a husband.

Right?

Okay... maybe only in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The truth is this:

I'm a 29 year old. The number of ways I can meet single guys is severely limited by not only my work schedule (sometimes, I think I'm in an extremely difficult relationship with work. Not good.) but also the lack of boys that I can interact with on a daily basis.

About a year ago, one of the single guys at work and I began to flirt on a more consistent basis. I'd make excuses to call him and talk about projects which would lead to other discussions. He would do the same. Three minute conversations turned into consistent 10 minute conversations.

The game was played for a good solid three months. 

Three months of questioning EVERYTHING.

Three months of asking random questions.

Three months of dropping hints and getting soft invitations and then him rescinding offers.

Finally, I had enough of the games. I wrote him a Facebook message. And told him: Stop playing and spend time with me if that's what you want. Otherwise, leave me alone.

He took me up on the challenge. We had a date to discuss dating (I think it was more of a hang out session, he said it was a date.) Our first official date was to go to see a movie. It was awkward. 

After another date, there was a drought. Holidays came and passed. He came to my birthday. I wondered if this was normal, while deep down telling myself that I was holding onto a nice fantasy.

He finally took me out to tell me that he had decided to get back together with his ex. In so many words he explained that I was meaner than he expected, I teased too much, and I wasn't the prettiest girl (because he never goes for the pretty girls). 

And don't worry, he told people at work that he made me cry. For the record? I didn't cry... in his presence. 

So, now I have dating rules. Well, currently only three. They are:


1. Never ask a boy out. (This rule may be broken but only in these ways.)

2. If a guy is not asking you out, he's not interested. MOVE ON!

3. Be nicer. Sarcasm can be sweet, but notice when I've turned it mean. 

Of course, I haven't had success yet, but I definitely am happier. 

But I wonder if that happiness has come from NOT dating...

It's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment