Monday, August 6, 2012

Prankster

I'm not sure when it happened. 

At my last job, I became known as the prankster. The one who would instigate any and all pranks. I don't know if that's true. But I do have a bit of a mischievous side.

When I started work at my new job, I had transferred from one department in my company to another. I was working with people who were closer in my age. I assumed that pranks were encouraged.

My boss (who was only a few months older than me) had a habit of leaving his computer unlocked. So while walking by, I would check to see if he was there. If he wasn't, I would stop in and send some random email to an unsuspecting member of our team. A rather harmless email... that would cause some confusion. He never learned. This happened three or four times.

My favorite prank though came on April Fools' Day. He and I had my annual review with my salary raise (and it was a generous raise). There had been talk that another department was looking for someone and they had begun to ask me to apply for the new position. I went up to my boss' office and said we need to chat. I told him that the new department had offered me a job and I was going to take it. 

We sat for a good 15 seconds. His face turned pale. He was speechless (which was unheard of for him).

I couldn't take the feeling of discomfort.

"April Fool's!" I laughed.

It took him another 10 seconds to register what had just happened.

That story made it around our group as the best payback the boss ever had (considering that he was a major prankster, it only seems appropriate that he was taken down by a better one). 

But I'm still waiting for the day that I can play this prank on someone:


You better watch out if you're my co-worker....

No comments:

Post a Comment