Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Hard Things

I believe in doing hard things. 

Okay... that's a lie. The honest statement is usually:
I believe in doing things that I'm good at.

But this year is a new year for me. 
This year, I wanted to try new things. Live life a little more.
I want that first statement to be the honest truth.
I want to believe in doing hard things.

Eight years ago, this past Saturday, I did something incredibly hard for me. 
For eighteen months, I lived abroad in a country where I didn't speak the language and taught people about God and my religion. 
There were times when I said it was too hard.
I don't think about those times very often. I think about the happy times.
But it was still hard.

So, on Saturday, I took a chance and decided to do something hard.
And for the world, 3.1 miles probably seems like nothing.
But for me... it was a battle. 
Mile 1 was all up hill.
Mile 2 was pretty flat.
Mile 3 was the home stretch and mostly down hill.

My iPod played various songs from Maroon 5, Carly Rae Jepson, and songs from Glee, and I just kept running. I wanted to finish.
Finish, I did.
I certainly wasn't very fast. 
38:48; pace of 12:31/mile.
But I'm happy.
(Can't you tell from my bright red face?)

So, maybe I do believe in doing hard things...
Maybe I'll keep doing them.
Or maybe I'll take a break from hard things. And relax.

(Oh yes... and the secret is to run the race with a friend. Best motivator).

No comments:

Post a Comment