Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pick Me Up

Life isn't always full of roses. 
I sometimes have to be reminded of that.
The funny stories? The awkward moments?
Sometimes, they wear on me. 
I love telling the stories. I love laughing about everything that happens.
Because either I'm going to laugh or I'm going to cry.

Today was a crying day.

There are sometimes where I wish as hard as I can on stars and dreams and wishes and hope that they come true. And then, I pull out my depressing song playlist (maybe some friends have made fun of me for having such a playlist...) and I listen and I cry and think that every painful song speaks to my existence. Is there someone out there who will love me? And why do I keep putting myself through this torture? It would just be easy to not deal with dating anymore, I tell myself. 

My friend is in Russia right now. Every Monday morning, I wake up and have a little email from her. This week, her email has been on my mind. Here is a part (hopefully she doesn't mind that I'm posting it):
"'Develop the habit of doing unpleasant things quickly and without hesitation. If you are going to jump in cold water, jump in the cold water. If you need to get up, get right out of bed. Do the dishes that need doing. Finish the hard jobs at work while everyone else is coming up with excuses to get out of them.

"'Like with applying force, all of your agonizing should be concentrated on deciding if you should do something. Once that is decided, do it. Quickly, efficiently, and without hesitation.

"'The ability to do this amazes mere mortals. It almost qualifies as a super power.'

"So there it is... When your alarm goes off, get out of bed. When you have to study for a test, study. When the dishes need to be done, just do 'em. When we practice this in our lives, we are training to be super heroes. I think we should start working on our super hero titles and costumes."

I'm trying to decide what my super hero name will be:
Over-analytical girl
 Bookworm
Trivia Queen

But in the meantime, I'm going to just keep plugging through and doing the hard things.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you posted that letter. It is good wisdom to share.

    When I feel all depressed about life and all the things I'm not accomplishing... I put on the Disney Hercules soundtrack followed by some sappy showtunes. People may scoff - but sometimes moods need music!

    ReplyDelete