Monday, July 9, 2012

You're studying WHAT?!

I rarely like to broadcast that I'm still in school. That I'm getting a masters degree. It doesn't come up in normal conversation unless I bring it up and I just choose to not bring it up.

And the reason I choose to not bring it up because the response after I tell them I'm studying library and information science, the response is one of three:

"And you find that interesting?"
"So... you want to be a librarian?"
"You have to get a masters for that?"

Yep. It's a winner of a degree. But the more I've studied, the more interested I've become in the possibilities that exist. 

So, let me give you the rundown about library and information science.

It's the science of organizing information. 

I know. It sounds boring already. One manager heard that and immediately thought that I would make the perfect secretary then... I mean, I love to organize, right?

But it's more about logically organizing information to make it accessible to people. 

I'll admit, at first, my plan was to become a young adult librarian so that I could read all of the cool books before they hit the shelves. But if you just love reading, you should not become a librarian. First rule. 

So, I've tried to expand my understanding. I took a Web Technology and Tools class and my final project was to create an entire website. It was pretty basic. One frame. Kind of geeky. I need to take a design like Adobe Illustrator class or something so that I can learn how to make things look pretty.

I've taken a cataloging class. Fall semester, I'm signed up for a Digital Copyright class (I'm hoping it will give me a leg up in my current job situation to maybe go toe-to-toe with a couple of guys and finally win an argument. Maybe I should've been a lawyer...) And I'm hoping to take a few social media focused courses before my time is up.

So you see, really, it's a bigger thing with lots of direction. I don't have to be a librarian. It's only taken me two years of study to figure that one out.

But I am glad that I had this summer off. A little disappointed because I was really excited about the class I was going to take.

Let's be honest though—I really do love reading. And sitting by the pool reading? That's the best way to spend one's summer.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a "Smithsonian" degree, as in, the handful of people I've met that work at the Smithsonian have similiar sounding degree attached to their resumes. I wish there was a degree in reading by the pool... I'd get all As.

    ReplyDelete