Saturday, July 21, 2012

Saturday Stories: The Set Up

It has certainly been a week.

I'm glad it's Saturday.

And that means, I get to remember a good story.

So, I have only been set up three times in my life. I wonder if it's I'm so odd that my friends fear setting me up because they may lose guy friends. Or maybe we really don't have that many guy friends.

Still, a friend offered to set me up on a date. She talked the guy up for some time before we actually could schedule a date. The week came, and he called me up. We had an awkward conversation on the phone and then later in the week he sent me a text and just said to dress comfortably. 

I went to my friend's house where I met up with her and her fiancé. My date arrived and off we went to go bowling and have pizza. I usually love bowling, but it was awkward to go bowl and come back and be in the middle of a conversation where I had no idea what they were talking about. So the conversation seemed to always be changing directions. He was nice though.

The ride back to my friend's house, though, was awkward. He decided that he didn't want to take the freeway. We were going to take the side streets. I tried to not panic, but I really don't like taking side streets. I want to know where I'm going. It's a control issue. But he seemed nice enough so I shouldn't have been too frightened.

He dropped me off next to my car (he never got out of the car to open the door for me and had pulled up next to my car) and then drove off because he needed to get to work for the night. 

There wasn't a second date.

But don't worry, my friend did tell this guy's mom that I was perfect for him. When I met his mom at my friend's bridal shower, she seemed very interested in being buddy-buddy with me. That was the best part. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it probably wasn't going to happen. 

So, noted: Don't talk to the mom until there's at least been three dates...

No comments:

Post a Comment