Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tech Tuesday: 8 Seconds

First impressions are a big deal.

Trust me. I've done speed dating three times. And speed dating is all about first impressions. You have maybe two minutes to charm someone enough to convince the guy that he does want to ask you out on a real date. So you try to find the most exotic or unique answers to the most over asked questions while still trying to sound genuine.

Sound about right? 

Well, for those who haven't experienced it—that's the honest to goodness truth of how those things go. It's not like Hitch made it seem.

Today, I read an interesting statement. It said that reports show that you have 8 seconds to wow a visitor to your website to get them to stay or they're going to be gone. 


Eight seconds?!

I thought a minute was useless. But eight seconds?!

It took you 3 seconds to read the last three sentences, right?

So what do you do?

Well, I can tell you what not to do. 

Don't go overboard!

Your webpage doesn't need to be brimming with logos, animations, videos, and whatever else you think would be cool to have on there. 

Remember the whole "speed dating" analogy. Still works here. Draw them in, show them your uniqueness while still being genuine to you, your company, and your brand.

I don't know what will get visitors to stay. I'm still trying to read and figure out this whole social media business. But you do know what will get your real visitors to stay. 

Because you know who they are. They look like you. You have a specific demographic you're trying to reach. Speak to them. Ask them what they like and what they don't like. And tailor the website to meet their needs. I promise you that it will be worth it.

Maybe speed dating hasn't yielded much success for me. But first impressions are still the best way to find new people.

PS: You should totally go check out my friend, Bethany's blog post at Jibe Media. She says that I inspired her, but... I have a hard time believing that!

No comments:

Post a Comment