Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tech Tuesday: Content

Content is king.

I feel like I hear this every time I'm in meeting to discuss social media or the web. Everyone is worried about creating the BEST content, content that will bring more people to their website. 

So maybe I haven't been blogging for awhile, but something that I've come to realized based on the blogs I read (because I read a fair number of blogs): I'm drawn to stories.

I think it's inherent to anyone. We love stories. Who doesn't love a good story?

When I was back East, I visited one of my brothers. He has a two and a half year old son. And I entertained said child by making up a couple of ridiculously cheesy stories. One about a little boy who pretended to be all these different animals and one about a little boy big rig (the kid is obsessed with his big rigs). After he had hear the stories repeated maybe twice, he started to be able to tell the stories back to me.

Why do we love fairy tales? Or fables? We love that they teach us some sort of moral, maybe? Or maybe we really do love a good story.

Stories connect us. It's the details that make things real to use. My favorite times with my family are when we sit around and tell stories. Stories have shaped who I am. They don't define me, they're a part of me.

The blogs I read, they tell me a story. Sure, sometimes that story is about a product or an idea. A story invites you in, allows you to decide where you fit and what side you're going to take. It's persuasive in a subtle way.

So, maybe this week look into your story-telling skills and see what stories you can tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment